Friday, May 22, 2009

YOU KNOW YOU'RE GETTING OLD WHEN...

A couple of years ago Scott was on a plane and as it landed at the airport he could see another plane out the window, obviously a corporate jet from Frito Lay, painted to look like a giant potato chip bag. Behind him sat an elderly couple, and he heard the lady say to her husband, "Oh, look at that plane!" After several long moments the gentleman very gently replied, "I'm sorry, Dear. I didn't hear you." There was no response for several seconds, and then he heard the lady answer sweetly, "That's ok, Dear. I can't remember."

That's the funny part.

The sad part is . . . Scott and I have done this.

Guess I'm feeling old today. I had to go to the doctor and have a breathing test. That's what happens when you get old. You have to have a test to tell you whether or not you are breathing.
I was. I mean, I am. In fact, the doctor was astonished at my ablility. He hadn't seen anything like it. I breathe like I'm a "big guy!" (Picture hand motions showing Arnold Schwartzeneger in his prime.)

But it's nothing some good drugs won't fix. That's the other way you can tell if you are old. You have to take medicine everyday for the rest of your life in order to maintain the quality of life you have grown accustomed to.

The third way you can tell if you are getting old is when you have to put your medicine in those plastic organizers, with a little compartment for each day of the week, because you can't remember if you took them or not. You were probably too deaf to hear your spouse remind you to take them. I'm not there yet. I'll let you know.

2 comments:

  1. Oh geez! I'm doing this kind of stuff already too. Oh well . . . can't stop it so ya might as well get a good laugh about it, right?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean you will let us know if you remember:)

    ReplyDelete